Who's to throw the first stone?

Xosé Manuel Alvariño ElcaminomejalaaAOL.COM
Sat Mar 29 09:13:57 PST 2003

Hi friends,

It seems to me that throughout history there have been countless  world
powers, like Spain and the US, that, claiming to be fighting for God,
civilization, justice,  et al, have conquered lands and peoples, paying heavy
prices, while, at the same time, have wanted to be loved. I believe that in
most cases, the one has proved to be temporarily or permanently
irreconciliable with the other.

We've discussed the pros/cons of our own past/current, US history, via
different media, I believe that I have nothing to add. And for some reason I
feel that I have to say that I am an independent voter, don't particularly
care for this administration and am not for "this" war.

Also, and this is important to me, I am a Hispanic North American, proud of
both heritages.

We're setting out to cross "el charco," to a well loved, controversial land,
where many (Europeans) who have  been raising their finger(s) at us (this is
not the first time), need to be reminded of a few things, if not, patiently,
given a few history lessons.

We need to document ourselves though, before we embark, about European
history, particularly Spain's. This may lead to patient, peaceful, pro-active
dialogues, as we may get involved in distasteful situations over there.  Last
year I took an excellent course at U-Santiago where we discussed Spanish
history from the point of view of the Camino through the ages. It was
excellent.

To the point:

I find it extremely interesting  that no one in this or any other forum that
I know of, has made any cross cultural comments &/or comparisons re: the
brutalities (for lack of a better term) that in the name of God and
civilization, Spaniards, Portuguese, British, Dutch, French,  etc.,
(dupicated in Africa)  made when this Hemisphere was  encountered by the Old
World,  some more than others. After all, they were/are, in different
degrees, responsible for decimating the entire indigenous population in the
Caribbean and other areas, imposing their religions, languages, customs,
values, and traditions in the Americas. Huge profits were exported to their
own countries, at the expense of Amerindians, one of the most massive,
coercive, movements of peoples in the history of the world from one continent
to another,  hired hands, and  migrations from places as far as India and
China.

Now, it  may be argued that this took place 500+ years ago, it is irrelevant,
has nothing to do with the present, the end product was worth it, etc.

Hmm... OK.

But, hey...today Spain is doing big business with Cuba's hotel industries in
building and co-managing hotels for tourists only, where native Cubans, even
having the means, are not allowed to go into (remember the days of S. African
Apartheid?).

Also, guys, you have no idea of the huge investments Spain has been making in
the Americas, for some time now, including media assets in South America.

Last year, for example,  Spain was largely responsible for  getting
Uruguayans out of their economic slump (nice for the uruguayanos)  because
otherwise their own investments would have gone down the drain.

Los conquistadores are at it again, only using updated resources. Just
another form of good, old, capitalism, which am sure our potential scoulders
may not know the dynamics going on, in this respect.

These and  other such arguments have been, are, and will probably be
discussed by historians, sociologists and other academics, per secula
seculorum.

While this is being done about all them saints/sinners!, and to wrap this up,
somebody please tell me, who is to throw the first, or any,  stones?

 Xosé Manuel