Suggestions About Dealing With Anti-American Sentiment on the Camino

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Fri Mar 28 09:23:04 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/28/2003 10:54:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM writes:

> Take care out there, collateral damage can take place far from the battle
> field

There is nothing wrong in being cautious and non-confrontational when
Americans travel in Spain or anywhere, for that matter, where anti-American
sentiment exists.  I remember an unexpected and unpleasant encounter some
years ago in Denmark of all places with a person with rabid anti-American
hatred.
However, I don't think that we should be frightening future travelers to
Spain unnecessarily.  My advice is to use common sense and prudence anywhere
you may be.  Let's not forget that we have some pretty violent protesters
right here in America, and not just the anti-war variety. Howard Mendes, NYC