Madrid hotels

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Fri Mar 21 07:25:59 PST 2003

My two cents worth ... these are some relatively to very inexpensive
hostales, centrally located, that I can recommend (although sometimes only
provisionally).

Near Plaza Santa Ana:

Hostal Regional--Calle Principe 18, 4th floor.  Just off the Plaza Santa Ana
with its outdoor cafes and nightlife; basic rooms in an elegant old
building.  Should be around 30 euros for a double.

Hostal Valencia--Calle Espoz y Mina 7, 4th floor.  Little hostal, large rooms
with bath.  Doubles for about 40 euros.

Hostal Lucense--Calle Nunez de Arce 15.  Cheap!  Basic and well worn, but
clean; bathrooms down the hall.  Doubles from 20 to 30 euros.

Casa de Huespedes Poza--Calle Nunez de Arce 9.  Sister to the Lucense; same
owners, same prices.

Between Plaza Mayor and Sol (more or less):

Hostal La Perla Asturiana--Plaza de Santa Cruz 3.  Small rooms but an ideal
location two blocks from both Sol and Plaza Mayor on an attractive square.
Doubles for around 40 euros.

Hostal Riesco--Calle Correo, on the corner of the Puerta del Sol.  Great
location, all rooms have air conditioning and bath.  Around 40 euros for a
double.

These are nothing like a business class hotels, but therein lies their
attraction and charm!

Carlos