Madrid hotel??

Lisa Kraus LMKRAUSaDOANE.EDU
Thu Mar 20 21:08:31 PST 2003

Dear all,

In Madrid, you will find a large number of hoteles/hostales/refugios/pensiones that are much more reasonably priced than the one's that have been recommended on the listserve.

While the  pictures on their web-sites do show them to be in much better condition than some of the more "economic" hostels that I stayed in while I was there, it doesn't hurt to shop around.  If you're willing to look, you will find hostels littering the Puerta del Sol region for 20 euros/person or less.  You can always ask to see a room before you commit.

I highly recommend the Hostal-Residencia Luz (c/ Fuentes, 10, 3rd floor, phone: 91 542 07 59 or 91 559 74 18).  It's located near c/ Arenal and the metro stop Opera.  However, they require you to stay at least two nights.  If I remember correctly, I paid 72 euros/night for 4 people and the place was beautiful and spotless.

On the calle San Jeronimo (which is in the direction of the 3 major museums from la Puerta del Sol) building #32 houses at least 4 or 5 seperate hostals ranging in comfort levels, but very affordable.

Keep in mind that hostels tend to fill up by evening, so don't plan on getting a great bargain if you arrive late at night without a reservation.

I rarely let my "Let's Go" book get out of reach when traveling in Madrid or other European cities (though a guidebook of this nature is not necessary on the Camino).  It was in fact my "budget travel bible".  If you do not want to purchase an entire guidebook, I would recommend photocopying the pages that pertain to you in a library.

I hope this information helps anyone who may be staying over in Madrid before or after the Camino.  If you have any further questions, you can contact me off-list at lmkraus at doane.edu.

Buen Camino,

Lisa Kraus