Madrid hotel - hostels

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Wed Mar 19 21:53:22 PST 2003

Jane,

What do you mean by hostel? This term usually refers to dormitories for
young people and these are sometimes available to pilgrims. I stayed at
two of them on the Arles route (in Toulouse and Oloron) and I saw one
that was available on the Portuguese route (in Braga) although I did not
stay in it. They were open during the day.

If you meant the refugios for pilgrims in Spain, yes many of them are
closed from early morning ( 8 or 9 depending on the time of the year) to
mid or late afternoon because they are for a one night stay only and
have to be completely cleaned each day. I have never heard of a refugio
on Madrid. They are mostly strung along the Camino Francés, with a few
on the other regular routes.

If you meant hostal, this refers to a small cheap hotel and there are
many of these all over Spain and they are generally open all through the
day and often even on a 24 hour basis.

regards,

Bob