Pilgrims Credentials

David planning Le Chemin de St Jacques/El Camino de Santiago caminoaOAKAPPLE.NET
Tue Mar 18 15:44:14 PST 2003

>I also understand from the CSJ in London that you
>should get your credential stamped twice a day in order to get the
>Compostella at the end.

 From http://www.csj.org.uk/passport.htm -

   In 2002 the Pilgrim Office in Santiago started asking pilgrims to get
   two stamps per day in their credenciales or Pilgrim Records.  We
   asked for confirmation of this new request, and here is their reply:

     "Last year we started to control a little bit more the credentials
     and the stamps, in order to differenciate pilgrims on foot, horse
     or by bicycle from  those who are using other means of transport
     to come to Santiago. The Cathedral of Saint James wants to be fair
     with those who are doing the pilgrimage by giving them, and only
     them, the "Compostela". That is the reason why we ask for two
     stamps per day.  However, we understand that if a pilgrim starts
     the Way in a far away point,  it is enough to get only one stamp.
     Otherwise, they would need several  credentials. We specially
     apply the rule of the two stamps per day to pilgrims starting from
     Galicia.  We really appreciate your interest on the matter, and
     will be very grateful if you would give that piece of information
     to the pilgrims addresing the Confraternity."

   So, be prepared, if you're starting from anywhere west of say
   Ponferrada (or picking up a pilgrimage made in stages), to get two
   stamps a day, and get hold of another credencial if you need room for
   the extra stamps.