Ultreia (if you are not a word buff, delete and spare the boredom)

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Tue Mar 18 15:19:06 PST 2003

Good point on "sus" meaning above. If you went to the monastery of San Millan
de la Cogolla (outside Najera)
you'll remember that there were 2 buildings, suso  and  yuso:  suso meaning
the one up on the hill that overlooks the valley.

I'm not a linguist, but I second the idea that ultreya (etc) is from vulgar
latin. It is found written in the "Dum pater familias" song at the end of the
LIber Sancti Jacobi -- and the song was hastily written with sparse musical
notations. I can even venture the thought that its actual spelling in the Dpf
song is an approximation.

The word "ultreia" is also found in a couple of medieval French crusade songs,
refering to over the sea, that is, the holy land.
I'll try to drag out some other details from earlier reading if you think it
would be worthwhile.

Linda Davidson
dgitlitzaaol.com