Ultreia (if you are not a word buff, delete and spare the boredom)

Maura Santangelo maurasantangeloaSTNY.RR.COM
Tue Mar 18 11:55:31 PST 2003

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 10:54 AM, Bob Spenger wrote:

> All I could find for
> sus (and sui) was about pigs which is obviously way off bas

sus means both above and pig, as for sui (as in sui generis) it is the
reflexive form of the pronoun meaning itself.  I don't think that
English has those reflexive forms, while some romance languages require
them for some verbs.

I would pronounce it
  ul tre ya ( ul as in pool or pull, tre as the ea in feather, y + a of
father)

When did italian develop from Latin?  gradually over the middle ages,
the written language remained latin while the spoken diverged and was
called volgare, (spoken by the people volg- and folk I believe share
the same origin), of which there were many forms.   Dante wrote in his
native fiorentino dialect to write la Divina Commedia and the language
was eventually adopted as Italian.   It was actually adopted in 1860
with the unification of Italy, making some italians more literate than
others.   Dialects still presrve quite a bit of LAtin, some like
Sardinian more than others.

Maura