Ultreia (if you are not a word buff, delete and spare the boredom)

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Tue Mar 18 07:54:27 PST 2003

Ultra and ultro were all I could find as well and I don't remember anything
about differing endings for adverbs and prepositions. Ultreia would seem to
be a contracted form of the preposition and some noun. All I could find for
sus (and sui) was about pigs which is obviously way off base. It did make me
wonder, however, if the traditional midwestern hog call term, "sooey!" is
derived from the Latin sui. Strange where such tangled threads lead. I
wondered about the e instead of et and thought that it might be a later
usage. That sort of brings a question: when and how did Italian evolve from
Latin? I guess that the term transitional form really covers it.

Another thing that I have wondered about is the pronunciation of
ultreia/ultreya. Does the first syllable rhyme with gull, hull, and mull as
I have sometimes heard it or with full and pull, which I think should be the
proper one? The trei seems to be usually pronounced as try and has the
emphasis. I suspect that this is an Anglicized version and that tray would
be the original. If it is broken into two syllables it should be tray-eee,
with the emphasis on the eee. The final a is also open to interpretation. I
have heard uh, but I would think that ah is preferred. It would help here if
computers had the phonetic alphabet available, but I hope that my meaning is
clear without it.

Robert