Help

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Thu Mar 13 11:29:48 PST 2003

Hi, Tom.  Here is what I would do; I hope that it proves of some use to
you.

If you arrive in Madrid at 7:15, you can be clear of the airport with
euros in your pocket by 8 a.m.  Lots of time to make the connection,
even if the plane is a bit late arriving or if picking up your backpack
takes a bit longer than usual.

The metro is the cheapest way to get to the center of the city, but the
line changes and the duration of the trip are the worst of the three
options.  Figure at least an hour from the airport to Chamartin station,
with I believe two line changes, but only about one euro in cost.  The
metro maps provided at the ticket windows and in each station are
excellent, and you should have no problem with getting where you want to
go.

The bus is nice because you get to watch the city envelope you.  It
drops you off at Plaza de Colon, from which you can take the metro, or a
bus, or a taxi up to Chamartin.  I think the bus is about two and a half
euros, but then tack on one or two more for the remainder of the trip.

Taxi will be fastest and most convenient, but most expensive--between 15
and 20 euros in the morning traffic.  Even with that, it should take you
no longer than about 20 minutes to be delivered directly to the station.

First class on the train gives you more room--sometimes it is only three
seats across in the coach, rather than four across in second.  I will
only go via first class when second is completely sold out.

If you like, you can reserve your train tickets online and pick them up
at the RENFE window at the airport, or at Chamartin.  Or, of course, you
can just wait and get them when you arrive.

If you only get to Bayonne that first day, you will have accomplished a
lot, and it will make your next day a whole lot easier ... plus you will
be more inclined to and able to relax and enjoy the beginning of your
Camino.

I am sorry, but I have no experience with arrangements in France.

The best to you, Tom.  Ultreia!

Carlos