2002 pilgrims by month and country

Tom Priestly tom.priestlyaUALBERTA.CA
Tue Jun 17 18:33:21 PDT 2003

Rosina,
My dictionary confirms that Islandia = Iceland and Letonia = Latvia.
Given that eslovaco and esloveno are the Spanish for the Slovak and
Slovene/Slovenian languages, the other queries on your list are
probably Eslovaquia = Slovakia and Eslovenia = Slovenia. The Faroe
Islands are (I think) constitutionally part of Denmark but are
semi-independent.

Although I do not imagine for an instant that you would wish to cause
upset feelings, the phrase
'a whole lot of new European countries with names reminiscent of
those mentioned in Lehar's "The Merry Widow" and Romberg's "The
Student Prince"'
is likely to do that. My friends in Slovenia - a politically separate
country for a few years after 1815, then not again until 1990; but a
place which has considered itself separate for over a century - would
I know be, variously, annoyed, saddened, embarrassed.
I repeat: I accepted your remark as a humorous one. However, I know
that there are people with thin skins - especially the
Slovenes/Slovenians, who are still suffering psychologically from
having been part of Yugoslavia for so long. When foreign dignitaries
confuse Slovenia and Slovakia, they cringe.

Incidentally, there are enough British Catholics for us to be pretty
certain that there would have been English, Scottish and even Welsh
pilgrims who requested the document. I think a clerical error is
likely.

And the Beatitudes poem - in both the original (as far as my
newly-acquired Spanish can tell) and your translation - was really
moving. Thankyou!

Tom
--
Tom Priestly