statistics

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon Jun 9 13:06:35 PDT 2003

In an attempt to assuage your trepidations about the expected crowds in Santiago next year, I can add that I was in Santiago on Sunday, July 25, 1999 (the biggie in the Xacobean Holy Year), and yes, it was crowded.... very, but it was also very amiable and pleasant.  I did hear that there was a huge line, and a very long wait, composed of those, pilgrims and turists, who wanted to get in the Cathedral through the Puerta Santa on the special day. (I and my companions had crossed that umbral the night before.)
But after going to Seville during Holy Week for so many years, and being part of the huge crowds there (sometimes it can take up to an hour to walk one block if a procession is expected, or just went by) and after having become lost and spent two days among so very many "romeros", none of whom I'd met before, on the way to Rocio, sleeping on the ground and eating and drinking comunally, the crowds at Santiago were nothing new to me and were, indeed, exciting and anjoyable.
Unlique the surliness and rude impatience that we New Yorkers suffer daily when using our subways at rush hour, the crowds at Seville, Rocio and Santiago are friendly, cheerful, helpful and very amiable.  One of my 1999 companions in Santiago had attanded the legendary concert in Woodstock more than twenty five years ago; she told us that the Santiago multitudes reminded her of that long ago concert which is one of her most cherished memories.
On St. James Day there are al sorts of festivities around the Cathedral which culminate with very imaginative fireworks, including the "setting the Cathedral on fire" which is a fireworks structure replicating the Cathedral's facade.
And, of course, there is music and merriment everywhere.
I really don't think that anyone need worry.
Regards,
Rosina