Holy Years

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Sat Jun 7 13:30:45 PDT 2003

Richard:

Jen asked the question what makes a particular year a holy year as compared
to a "normal" year and I referred her to the Vatican website which is the
most accurate source of information on this subject since only the Pope can
declare a "holy year" for the Church. For practicing Roman Catholics one of
the principal benefits of participating in activities associated with a holy
year is the granting of partial or plenary indulgences under the appropriate
circumstances. I suspect this is where the confusion with the so called
"Jacobean holy year" arises.

As the result of Church tradition and Papal decree in several forms,
authority has been granted to certain Cardinals, Patriarchs, Metropolitans
and Bishops to bestow Papal blessings and grant indulgences "under certain
and definite conditions". It is thought that in 1122 Pope Calixtus II gave
Compostela the privilege of granting a plenary indulgence to those who
visited the shrine of the Apostle in each year when the saint's day fell on
a Sunday, so long as, while there, they made their confession, attended
Mass, gave a donation for the upkeep of the shrine, and undertook to perform
good works. This is disputed. Subsequently, however, other similar Bulls and
pronouncements in favor of Compostela were issued granting "Papal
indulgences". In any event, Canon law has recognized and delineated the
authority of Church leaders to grant indulgences, most recently in 1917,
1967 and 1985, essentially along lines established centuries ago.

What all this means in practice is that there have been 26 Jubilee or holy
years of the Catholic Church since the first one proclaimed by Pope Boniface
in 1300. They are extraordinary and relatively rare events in the life of
the Church. By contrast, a Jacobean Holy Year, which is different, is more
narrowly focused, local and not universal. It can only be announced by the
Bishop (Ordinary) or Metropolitan of Santiago in accordance with the Pope's
directive and by Canon law "under certain and definite conditions" for
purposes of bestowing Papal blessings and granting indulgences. In other
words the "Jacobean Holy Year" is perfectly legitimate, recognized and
approved by the Church, but remains somewhat of a misnomer.

Hope this helps to clear up the confusion.

Gene Silva
ejsilvaaswbell.net