Burgos without tears

JA Brilleman janernaaHETNET.NL
Tue Jun 3 14:21:24 PDT 2003

Jeffrey,

Octobre 2001 the wellknown Irish Pilgrim Ruth Potterton published an
alternative route for the entry of Burgos. I'll copy it and paste it
below:

(quote)
I promised to outline the alternative route into Burgos, away from that
awful 7KM of factories and lorries. In 1997 I did the slog via the
factories it was awful, this time I followed Alison Raju's advice and
led a small party via the other route, there were some who believed we
wouldn't find the route but we did and it finishes with a lovely walk
along the river through a park. After the village of Atapuerca turn
right towards the TV antenna, the path then divides take the left hand
option, which leads you to the village of Cardenuela, turn right along
the road and Keep straight on through village, you will reach Orbaneja
after about 2 KM , keep on straight and cross the motorway NOW THIS IS
WHERE YOU HAVE TO DECIDE if you go on straight you will go in via the
factories to avoid this you will see a disused military barracks on your
left (this is where we nearly went wrong) you turn left and follow a
sort of path around the barracks (in other words the fence of the
barracks will be on your
right) you follow this path right round behind the barracks, you then
continue through the fields path is parallel to the motorway which
should be over on your left. Ignore turnings keep on straight, some of
the yellow marks are on the ground as there is nowhere else to put them.
Fileds give was to waste ground. After approx 1 KM cross another track
keep on straight after another crossing the track will veer left towards
Castanares (Factories & Water Tower are landmarks) Cross a Bridge over a
stream and go under Electricity wires and enter Castanares. Turn right
at fountain and then right again on track paralle to road, cross the
road and go under road bridge, cross another slip raod and continue on
hard shoulder (single file careful) Then turn left and then right down a
track, pass to the left of a block of flats, down the Calle Mayor de
Villayuda, at the end keep straight alon a path beside a field, go under
railway line and up a flight of steps turn left then right down more
steps, at the ned of this street keep on straight down an alley and left
at the end then right down street at the end of the street (Plaza de
Toros on left) turn right cross road and keep on straight along and to
the right of football ground. Pass Red Cross HQ cross over road and go
down Calle Maestro Justo del Rio, cross waste ground diagonally cross
Avenida General Vigon and continue down Calle de las Calzadas to Plaza
San Juan. Cross road bridge over river go under arch and continue down
Calle San Juan cross Avenida del Cid Campeador and keep straight on to
the cathedral.
I think this is right, for a lot of the time you will have the river on
your right as the path is along the edge under the trees in the park,
once you reach the main river basically just follow it and it will take
you to the centre of Burgos.

Ruth
The Irish Pilgrim.
--