careless bikers.

Rebekah Scott rebritesaYAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 1 19:26:37 PDT 2003

heavens! I am amazed that the little incident with the elderly ladies and the offensive bicyclist could elicit such reactions. There are tetchy people about, I can give more details, but I can't offer apologies, because I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

First: I love elderly "grannies," I have one of my own, and I am on my way to that esteemed category myself. I can't say whether or not they are more spiritual or inward-looking than anyone else, I met a few on the Camino  who were as bawdy as anyone, and many youngsters who were well-developed spiritually.

Also, I don't have anything against Christians, unless they are the in-your-face, self-rightous kind. I'm a Christian myself. I just don't take it so deadly serious that it's not fun or human anymore, neither do I feel compelled to correct others' spirituality or lack thereof.

The women who turned on the biker were a group of about 6 French pilgrim ladies, very focused and energetic. I learned after said incident that the biker had crossed their group before, and hurt one of their friends. They were peeved.

This happened about two hours outside  Sarria on a misty, chilly morning, in late May 2001.  I do not have the navigational coordinates or the moon phase for the time/place.

If my wild story defies your preconceptions and experiences, my apologies. Your camino was populated with wonderful, kindly, peaceable people. Mine was, too. That's why this was a standout incident. I think the French ladies were also kindly, peaceable people, but they'd  been pushed too far.

My posting was meant to ask bikers to be courteous. I didn't mean to get up anybody's nose, but I guess I did!
Ultreya
Rebekah

Rebekah Scott, journalista
'The more I learn, the less I know.'