2004 Holy Year Pilgrimmage- How Crowded Is Crowded?

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Thu Jul 31 12:14:59 PDT 2003

Someone on this site presented projections of 400,000 pilgrims during
next Holy year.  When I was a 'Hospitalero' last year, Hospitaleros at
the other two Refugios in our village were talking about the upcoming
Holy year crowds with both anticipation (for the business they bring to
the village) and trepidation because the crush could very well overcome
the resources of the village.

I think everyone should walk the Camino Frances, especially if you can
only do the pilgrimage once, but if you find extremely crowded
conditions unsettling, you might want to try an alternate route; i.e.
the Via de la Plata, the Northern route or even the Portuguese route.

I was on the Camino (Frances) in May-June 2001 and in September 2002,
and the crowds seemed never ending.  Our Refugio had a line forming by
13:00 and we were 'full' even before we officially opened.  The other
two Refugios also quickly filled, and then the hotels.  As far as I
know, though, everyone was accommodated somewhere in the village every
night. The only pilgrims who were not, were the occasional bicyclist who
chose to go on rather than sleep on the library floor.

In other words, unless you choose to go in winter, you won't be lonely
anywhere on the Camino Frances, Holy year or not.

Jim Eyskens