Trekking poles

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 31 16:49:56 PDT 2003

I just left the rubber tips on all the time when I walked the Via Frances last May. It worked for me.
Someone else mentioned, and may I second the thought, that having the poles keeps my hands from swelling when walking for along time, because the hands are not hanging down at my sides. I hate it when they swell.
Glenn, I have lived in both Versailles and Somerset, Ky, and worked in Frankfort.
Deanna

"Jilek, Glenn" <Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV> wrote:
I have used poles for several hundred miles of walking/hiking and I really like them. As was said, it really helps out your knees. The ones I own have the option of rubber tips for walking on paved surfaces or carbide tips for off road use. I have found the rubber tips are not good "off road" and the carbide tips not very good on paved surfaces. I will not be walking the Camino for several months, but I read that there are mixed surfaces (paved and unpaved)...From my experience with poles, this would be problematic.

Jennifer what kind of tips do your poles have?

Glenn Jilek

-----Original Message-----
From: remjenatelus.net
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:58 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: Trekking poles

Hi David,
I took two leki poles on both my camino trips. I have finished the camino
only a month ago, and I said several times... this is the best investment I
have ever made... EVER. It sounds silly, but BOTH my poles first of all
gave me serious acceleration, and aided me on the downhills (my knees didn't
take such a beating). I would never go on long hikes without both my poles.
As I said they ease pressure on your knees, give you stability and keep the
blood from pooling in your hands (at least in my experience). Normally I
have a difficult time keeping up to my boyfriend, but the poles definitely
help you kick it up. My poles are super light, so they were never ever a
burden. I think the important thing is technique, I saw a lot of people
using their poles incorrectly so I can understand why for some it feels
inefficient, but if you use them as you would cross country ski poles, and
just let them fall naturally with every step... awesome (they will be your
best friends).

Anyway, this is my experience with my poles. Good luck, and buen camino.

Jennifer Bruce