boots, packs and snoring

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Wed Jul 30 08:28:44 PDT 2003

I would suggest carrying some sandals as well.  I had a pair (not shower
shoes) and I would walk in them several hours a day, to give my feet a
rest from my boots.

Jim Eyskens

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Caldwell, Emily
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 2:44 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: boots, packs and snoring

Pack:
I read in a book that don't take the 'just in case' items.  Normally you
can find those in villages.  However, you can also figure out what is
needed and not needed on the way.  You will also figure out your comfort
level as you go.  I ended up lightening the load as I went and started
to throw things away, but this can also be compared with the camino.  My
pack and life's burdens were heavy in the beginning, and little by
little things got easier and I was able to let things go.

Boots:
Again, I agree with others... there is a comfort level.  I have a pair
of boots that I've had for a year and I walked away with one
blister...though I only walked 140 miles of the 500.  I met a woman who
had a pair of boots she broke-in also and she had many blisters and foot
problems.  Just 'love those feet' as I told a fellow peregrino.  At
night I would put Vicks on my feet, and in the morning would put on
Vaseline.  I also had knee-high pantyhose to help with the friction.  A
friend of mine who was in the military and walked 100 miles in the heat
with 120 pound pack said they would work... and I think they did.
Everyone's feet are different, just make sure you listen to them.

Snoring:
I'm with everyone else, earplugs.  However, I had earplugs and never
used them.  I was so tired by the end of the day I slept like a rock,
which isn't normal... I'm a light sleeper.  I also talked with a woman
who would wake people up who were snoring.  But snoring is also another,
though not welcomed, experience of the camino... :)

Buen camino
Emily