Pack Weight

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Tue Jul 29 23:42:25 PDT 2003

Jim Eyskens

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Tania
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 3:13 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Pack Weight

Hello all,

With the subject of boots in topic, it got me thinking about the weight
of one's pack?

I have heard varying things from people who have hiked long distances,
the one thing that stuck in my mind has been "that your pack should
weigh no more than 10-15% of your body weight?"  Is it personal
preference?  or does it depend on what kind of shape you are in?  the
boots you are using? etc. What type of packs have you used and found to
be the most comfortable?

I currently hike with no more than 10% of my body weight in my pack and
lately have increased that slightly when walking to work (40 mins) to
see how it feels.  I guess I am also curious if anyone has done any
"training" with their packs on?  Last year a friend who hiked the West
Coast Trail in BC dragged me along with her to our local "ski hill" and
we did reps up and down with and without packs.  It definately improved
my running and prepared her for the trail.

Thanks very much in advance for your responses,
Tania