Pack Weight

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Wed Jul 30 00:45:34 PDT 2003

Hi Tania,

I think that the 10-15% figure came from some research done by two Israeli doctors.

A lot depends on frame - yours and the pack's.  I'm about 240 pounds at present and expect to lose 20-25 on the Camino so a 25 pound pack might seem a lot but I've managed upto 40 on wilderness hikes.  I seem to remember the Commandos during the Falklands/Malvinas war having to carry 120 pounds each on 40 mile yomps across barren land but we don't want to go to that extreme.

Think in the first instance of what you'll need.  I've just come back from holiday with my two teenage daughters each of whom brought along a suitcase weighing 25 kilos (about 55 pounds) and I doubt that they used a third of what they took.  Assemble your kit, pack it, walk around the block if you want.  How does it feel? How will it feel after the 28 km hike over the Pyrenees? Go back, refine what you've got and try again. Try different ways of packing - some people swear by putting the heaviest items at the bottom so your hips take the weight others the opposite so you bear it on your shoulders. Weigh it then if you wish - you might be pleasantly surprise how little it is.

Don't forget you can keep things down by buying smaller items - the travel sized Crest, decant shampoo into little 4oz bottles (with screw tops) even go to the extreme of sawing half the handle off your toothbrush (I kid not, I've seen this).  There will be lots of opportunities to restock on the way.

Bet you still shed stuff on the way though, there is a storage space under the stairs in Rabanal's refugio packed with discarded tents, kip mats, stoves, camp sets and even clothes with 200km to go people were realising just how little they needed!

Buen Camino

Jeffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Tania [mailto:taniaraGOLDEN.NET]
Sent: 29 July 2003 15:13
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Pack Weight

Hello all,

With the subject of boots in topic, it got me thinking about the weight of
one's pack?

I have heard varying things from people who have hiked long distances, the one
thing that stuck in my mind has been "that your pack should weigh no more than
10-15% of your body weight?"  Is it personal preference?  or does it depend on
what kind of shape you are in?  the boots you are using? etc. What type of
packs have you used and found to be the most comfortable?