New Santiago equestrian statue

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Jul 29 09:24:30 PDT 2003

Hello you all,
I just read the information in the site provided by David about the setting
of Easter dates and my head is still reeling. It is even more mind-boggling
that I thought.... Two moons? Wow!
Meanwhile,  as of yesterday  a 16,000 kgms. (35,200 pounds) new statue of the
Apostle will be welcoming pilgrims in Santiago. The original idea for the
statue came from the Galician artist Antonio Garcia Patino who in 1999 provided
the celebrated twenty-two illustrations for the book "Los milagros del Apostol
Santiago" (The  Miracles of Santiago) based on the Codex Calixtinus.
The new statue was sculpted by David Dos Santos from Ferrol and it shows
Santiago on horseback, but not in a military stance, rather sitting sidesaddle
holding a staff and other pilgrim's indicia, and offering two fronts (as though
Santiago were sitting back to back with himself). As explained by the artists,
the bifrontal appearance was designed so that the Apostle's figure will
welcome pilgrims coming from both the French Way and the Portuguese Way.
The statue, entitled "Santiago a caballo"  (Santiago on horseback) was
placed, without incident, in the garden in front of the Parliament building.
The horse (alas! unnamed) looks more like a lovable family pony with no
taint whatever of warlike airs.
Warm regards,
Rosina