boots

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Mon Jul 28 08:59:11 PDT 2003

I used a pair of low quarter gore tex mephisto boots-probably mid
weight, they weigh 3 lbs total when I walked in May-June.  500 miles and
they never showed any wear.  Last September I used a pair of high top
Paredes boots (Spanish) I bought in Spain.  They were also water proof,
lighter than the mephistos and much less expensive 54 euros to $350.00.
The Paredes boots were warmer, and better for the fall than the
mephistos would have been, but unfortunately, I don't believe you can
get them outside Spain?

Jim Eyskens

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Mary Bolster
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 10:48 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: boots

I'm going to begin the Camino in late September, and am beginning to
gather my gear. I have never hiked anything close to this distance
although I'm a runner and in good shape. My question to all of you is
about boots. I tried on several types of boots. The most comfortable was
a lightweight hiker that was well ventilated but not Gortex. I hesitated
to buy it for two reasons: 1) it is below the ankle, and while I'm not
worried about support, I haven't carried 25# w/ a lightweight low, boot;
2) it isn't waterproof, although the material wicks, and will dry
quickly. It is, by the way, the lightest weight of any boot I tried.
The "competition" is a hightop, Gortex boot that has a lot of
support--but feels constrictive consequently. So, it will keep out the
rain, and protect my ankles, but seems stiff. I'm interested in feedback
from those of you who have walked the trail--especially those who are
familiar w/ the walk in Fall. Thanks, Mary Catherine