Order of San Anton, again & again

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 24 21:22:45 PDT 2003

> Is St. Antoine on the Le Puy route?

Yes, between Moissac and Condom, on the boundary
between Tarn-et-Garonne and Gers.

> scalop shell...did the St. Antoine village have a
> St. James?

Not that I recall, but there were so many churches
and villages!   The CSJ guide's green insert doesn't
mention anything for St James in St Antoine.

The proprietaire of the gite
explained to me carefully that the St Antoines were
named after St Antoine du Desert, a celebrated
Egyptian healer of the third century, rather than
St Antoine de Padua, but the church had a Padua
anyway.
Almost all French and Spanish churches seem to have
a St Antoine de Padua and a Santa Teresa d'Avila, but
in many places in France St Roche displaced St Jacques
during the times of plagues.   I didn't get a
particularly good St Antoine, I was never in one of
the great cathedrals at sunset, but I got lucky with
Santa Teresa at sunset at Montverdun:
http://camino.oakapple.net/photo/fr/42/2003-04-16/