biking the Camino

Jen Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jul 5 12:26:53 PDT 2003

We have biked the Camino twice, both times starting in Pamplona (in May 2001
and May 2003).   We followed the maps in both Higginson's book and in The
Pilgrims Road to Santiago" by Bravo Lozano.    We took our time and enjoyed
the country as we travelled.   For us the journey was the destination and we
saw no need to rush.  We took three weeks to cover almost 800 KM.  While
Higginson sends you on a long boring detour from Sahagun to Mansilla De Las
Mulas, we recommend you take the "tree-lined path" thru El Burgo Ranero to
Mansilla.
If you are pressed for time, bike in sections and come back next year.  I
feel sorry for Mr. OLeary  because I wonder how much of the Camino he
experienced, and how much did he just whiz by.   The Camino is a pilgrimage,
not a race.
    jean seeler and dave gifford