Rental Bikes on Camino

Jean Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jan 28 14:44:40 PST 2003

For our last two trips to Europe, the Camino in May 2001 (Pamplona to
Compostella) and 1100 KM in Germany in May 2002, we bought bicycles still
in their boxes at Wal-Mart.   We brought our stuff including helmets,
panniers
 in a large suitcase bought from a second hand store (Salvation Army
or Goodwill).  The airline took the boxed bikes as one piece of luggage each
for a
small extra fee.  The bikes rode on the train in Spain in the back of the
first class carriage (seat reservation required).  At Pamplona we built
the bikes.  This means putting on the seat, pedals and handle bars.
Installing the luggage rack from the suitcase.  Filled the panniers, put
them on the
bikes.  We left the suitcase by the side of the road.

At the end of the trip we gave our bikes to some kids.  We found cartons
to pack our stuff in and came home.    You are not going to make great time
riding with panniers.  You want to experience the Camino.  Not race it.
Bikes are expensive to buy in Europe (and much better than the discount
store variety).  If you rent you probably will have to return the bike to
the place of rental.

Just a suggestion.

jean and dave  (age 64 and 62)

PS:  We are returning to the Camino in late April, again with Wal-Mart
mountain bikes in their original boxes.    Two more kids in Santiago will
receive them.