Using telephone in Spain

Remi & Jen remjenaTELUS.NET
Tue Jan 21 13:43:53 PST 2003

I spent 4 months in Spain in the fall of 2001 and BY FAR the least expensive way to call (home to Canada) was to buy phone cards from the tabac (tobacco shops), internet cafes, and some small groceries.  I'm not too sure about the availability in small towns, as we purchased them mostly in Barcelona.
There are dozens of types of cards - most important is that they have a toll free access #, so you can call from payphones without paying for the local call.
you simply dial the toll free# on the card - then follow directions (in English):
enter the # revealed when you scratched the back of the card,
dial the # you want to reach,
and you are told how many minutes you have left as your call is connected.

There are no connection fees, so all you pay is the per-minute rate, which ranged from 6 to 9 cents US per minute (Spain to North-America). This was all in Pesetas so we bought 1000 ptas cards (6US$) which were good from 70 to (on some cards), 110 minutes.  no cheaper way.
Remi
Calgary - Canada