starting points for pilgrimage in nw france.

ALAN HOGARTH alan.hogarthaNTLWORLD.COM
Tue Jan 21 13:37:14 PST 2003

Hi Fellow Pilgrims.
Thank you Bob for raising this one. I also intend starting my 2003 pilgrimage in NW France.  In 2002 I walked the Camino Francais from Roncesvalles.  This year I'm intending to walk double the distance starting from St. James Church in Torpoint, Cornwall, England on Sunday Sept 7th across to Plymouth Devon the same day and over to Roscoff, Brittany on the overnight ferry - in a reclining seat.  I'm 65 and a pensioner so I have to watch the pennies.

So far I have discovered that there is a good canal towpath to walk from near Brest to Nantes.  Also from Bordeaux to Biarritz I can walk the 140 mile beach, initially in pines behind the dunes and later on the beach itself.  Have ordered a copy of IGN Map 903 which shows all the long distance footpaths in France, with the aid of that map i should be able to join up the dots between Nantes and Bordeaux.  Biarritz to St. Jean Pied a Porte us another small section I need to gather info on.

Will now be researching whereabouts of Gites D'Etape on or near the route.  Also camp sites as I will be carrying a tarp so that I can camp out.

When are you thinking of going Bob?

Ultreia!

Alan