What to bring - Sir Walter Raleigh's packing list

Tom Priestly tom.priestlyaUALBERTA.CA
Fri Jan 10 06:44:39 PST 2003

Joe,
I entered "Give me my scallop-shell of quiet" and checking "exact phrase"
on http://www.alltheweb.com/
and found 149 "hits." (This is a good search assistant for phrases).
One of them,
http://www.tetrameter.com/ralegh.htm
provides Ralegh ~ Raleigh's complete poem. Its title is "The Passionate
Man's Pilgrimage".
As a non-Catholic, I found another -
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12085a.htm
- very informative about pilgrimages in general, including a paragraph on
'stuff' and clothing.

And in that connection, if anyone comes across info on why the medieval
Spanish called the cloak the 'esclavina'- and the English called it the
'slavin', and so on in other languages - please let me know! The one
explanation I have seen, in Walter Starkie, The Road to Santiago. London:
Murray, 1957, p. 68, is historically a little suspicious. The question for
me is: why "Slavic"? Which Slavic pilgrims made the cloak so popular?

Ultreya,
Tom
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Dear All,
>Recently on this, and others message boards, there has been much
>discussion concerning what 'stuff' to bring. Quite accidentally I came
>across the following quote from Sir Walter Raleigh ...
>
>"Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
>My staff of faith to walk upon,
>My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
>My bottle of salvation,
>My gown of glory, hope’s true gage,
>And thus I’ll take my pilgrimage."
>
>-     Sir Walter Raleigh
>
>Does anyone know the origins of this quotation?
>Ultreya
>Joe

Tom Priestly
9215-69 Street