Drinking water & camping in the mountains

Harvey Goodman harveygoodman2001aYAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 9 11:05:49 PST 2003

I have 2 questions:

1.  Is there any problem drinking the water in the fountains or does the water need to be treated or filtered?

2.  I will be starting from Saint Jean Pied Du Port.  It looks like the first refugio is in Roncavalles, 27 km away.  That seems like too much to take on for my first day, especially since it involves going up the mountain.  Is is practical to camp in the mountains and do this section in 2 or 3 days?

Harvey
Work: (209) 341-7450
E-mail: HarveyGoodman2001aYahoo.com