Gocamino and Friends, an explanation

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Wed Jan 8 05:06:32 PST 2003

Thanks for so many responses, both private and general, about my recent
queries. Most responses came as a result of the question about the recipes.
Hmm, so no matter what we did to our feet on the camino, our stomachs got a
lot of benefit.

I thought I'd clear up a couple of things about Gocamino and Friends,
especially for those who are newer to the listserve.

Gocamino is just that, a listserve, and anyone who subscribes/signs up/ gets
the messages sent throught gocamino address. and access to the huge archives
(that's why the "subject" line is so important on these list serve emails.

I "run" --well, okay, maintain, the listserve through my university email
account as a _part_ of my broader work with/for the Camino to Santiago as
coordinator of "Friends of the Road to Santiago"

"Friends" is a small association that I run. Its /my goal is to help disperse
general information about the pilgrimage for 1/ those interested in "academic"
research about the history & importance of the pilgrimage and 2/for those
desiring to make the pilgrimage, whatever their motives.

"Friends" has been in existence since 1989 when colleague Maryjane Dunn sent
out the first newsletter. Since then we, and then I, have been publishing
newsletters generally twice a year on all sorts of aspects of pilgrimage to
Compostela. The Newsletters are mailed in printed form to those who are
"members" of Friends, for which we ask modest yearly dues to offset printing
and mailing costs. We presently have about 550 members and send the
Newsletters also to about 100 confraternities and refugios in Europe/Spain.

It is through "Friends" that we offer the pilgrim's credential to take on the
trek. I always like to encourage North Americans to use our credential (we do
not charge for it, although we never turn down donations) -- it is important
for Europeans and spaniards to see that North Americans do indeed make the
pilgrmage and how better to show it than using a credential clearly indicating
so.

So, in conclusion, to those saying that they've been on Gocamino for some time
but did not receive the last newsletter, it probably because you have not
become a member of "Friends". For more information, see the web site:
http://www.geocities.com/friends_usa_santiago.

Hope this helps.
Oh, yes, there will be a recipe in the next newsletter. i promise.

LInda Davidson