clothing variety

David planning Le Chemin de St Jacques/El Camino de Santiago caminoaOAKAPPLE.NET
Mon Jan 6 14:54:00 PST 2003

Thank you for all the comprehensive advice
on the subject Protestants at Mass.
Lia's post in particular raised enough interesting points
to last for days, so I'll comment now on just one:

> I was surprised many times to find churches in France that were very, very conservative and strict with respect to the clothes you wear.

Not only for churches, but for towns in general, to be less of an
Ugly American, I am planning to carry
a presentable travelsmith shirt and pants, that can quickly go over
the runners shorts and capilene undershirt I usually hike in.
The runners shorts also serve as underwear and swimwear.
Along with... my rain jacket
and pants, fleece shirt and pants, and maybe a fleece vest and a netting
vest to provide handy  pockets in hot weather...
and I'm going to carry all this in a
G4 with a 20 pound limit?    We'll see about that.   But crossing the
Massif Central in April, and the Meseta in June, certainly calls for some
variety of attire.

Long distance hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail here, who don't have much
in the way of dry shelter most nights,
often hike even the snowy early season
Sierra in trail running shoes like New Balance 804's.
But they typically don't
have as many all-day-rainy days and animal pastures to navigate as Camino
walkers.    So I still haven't decided whether to go with boots or trail
shoes.