Protestants at Mass

Tony McGinty AMcg65aAOL.COM
Mon Jan 6 06:29:21 PST 2003

As an Episcopalian (and former Catholic) who did the Camino last year, my experience was that I was free to take the host at mass everywhere. Maybe it would not have been offered if anyone had asked if I was in "full communion" with the Catholic Church beforehand, but no one ever did, and I felt comfortable  taking the host as a Christian invited to the Lord's Table. At places other than the large pilgrimage sites, my experience was that mass was very sparsely attended and all were welcome. I don't think you need to worry about how to take the cup of wine. I never saw anyone in the congregation offered wine at any of the services I went to in Spain. I only saw the priest at the alter take the chalice.

At many churches in Spain the rosary is prayed regularly, and it can be very beautiful as the congregation (mostly women) often prays communally, without celebrant, or seemingly a leader. Try to attend if you get the chance.

Tony McGinty