What to bring and what not to

Paul Newfield pcn01aWEBDSI.COM
Sat Jan 4 21:28:34 PST 2003

I totally agree about the "journal", except that I used a small spiral bound notebook (purchased at a papeleria in Spain), measuring about 3.5" x 5" (actually, I used three such notebooks over the period of my journey).  The little notebook fit very conveniently in an around-the-neck passport pouch, together with my 4-flavor Bic pen and my pilgrim's passport.  These things were always handy and readily available for making notes and sketches, getting signatures and addresses, and even for collecting sellos.  Besides my little notebook, I always had my pilgrim's passport handy, and I ended up with 3 completed passports, all stamped  up (I collected sellos at bars, churches, refugios, and even people on the street- a la Felicia near Logron~o).

Paul Newfield (Santiago, May 26, 1999)

  A JOURNAL!  I wrote everyday, as did many people, and now several months after returning find that my journal is one of my prized possessions (you know, if the house was on fire, what would you grab?)....  It reminds me of details that I would otherwise never recall; it is a repository of addresses and places, meals and experiences.  Invaluable.