Books on Spain-Kathy to Xose

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 28 14:23:44 PST 2003

Xose, et al,

Roads to Santiago by Cees Nooteboom wasn't one of my favorites when I was
looking for advice on the Camino, but afterwards it became one of the best
to give a flavor of Spain itself through the ages as the author takes his
own inner Camino, driving and walking all over Spain, trying to find what
gave context to the Camino...middle ages, small villages, beliefs and
travails, history and faith.  He brings this all in, staying with friends
(he's Dutch) or in paradors...walking to remote villages and consulting old
books and with people who have kept the flame, so to speak, all over Spain.
His is a love affair with the land-the majestic, the desert, the simple, the
sublime and royal--all context and perspective.

Can you tell I think it's a must read even if you don't agree?