What is a Reasonable Budget for the Camino?

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Fri Feb 28 13:42:11 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/28/2003 12:03:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
norvellaNAUVOO.NET writes:

> My wife and I are budgeting 100 euros per night for food and lodging on the
> camino.
>
> Is this a reasonable amount?

You did not indicate whether you plan to stay in refugios, pensions, hotels
or posadas; obviously, depending on your choices, the expenses can vary
widely.
Some refugios are supported by contributions, so depending on your
generosity, even this can vary.  Further, some pilgrims who are on a tight
budget do their own cooking, where allowed, in refugios; others splurge on
meals in the better restaurants rather than limit themselves to pilgrims'
menus.

Two years ago, when I went, it was easy to travel spending only $12 - $25 per
day, staying at refugios and sticking to the pilgrims' menus most of the
time. Of course, there are always extra expenses like pharmacy purchases and
gifts/souvenirs that you should include in your budget.  100 euros per night
is probably double what most of us spent in 2001 and we did not feel that we
were doing the Camino on the cheap.  Howard Mendes, NYC