Funniest posting ever - Digital or Film

David planning Le Chemin de St Jacques/El Camino de Santiago caminoaOAKAPPLE.NET
Tue Feb 25 05:06:43 PST 2003

> I doubt if anyone has ever considered carrying a laptop before

Well I had, precisely for the reason that downloading photos from my
digital camera to a computer in an internet cafe and then uploading to
my home computer probably might involve downloading some software (a
USB bulk storage driver and the scp program that comes with ssh) that
might not be available - and I don't know how internet cafe operators
feel about downloading software onto their systems.

But I'll have to take my chances.   The most expensive laptops are very
light and compact and really are portable enough, all things considered,
BUT they are still very expensive and fragile and not waterproof - and very
tempting to thieves, anywhere in the world.   One of my friends was
traveling in Europe, and downloading from his camera to his laptop as he
went, and then it was stolen from his van,
and he lost everything.    So I'll get along without.    But it almost makes
sense, and in a few more years I hope there will be something small and light
and inexpensive and rugged enough.

And there is the consideration that pilgrims got along without them for
1000 years.