13 stages of the Camino

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Mon Feb 24 20:52:17 PST 2003

The translater's name is Melczer.

Part II is the translation of of Book Five of the Codex Calixtinus. Chapter II
of this Part gives the following:

1. Saint Michel to Viscarret
2. Pamplona
3. Estella
4. Nájera
5. Burgos
6. Frómista
7. Sahagún
8. León
9. Rabanal
10. Villafranca
11. Triacastela
12. Palas
13. Santiago

The chapter finishes off with this phrase "-and this is a short journey."
Presumably this referred to the last stage, which is well over 60 km. The
first two days are described as short. For the fourth and fifth, horseback is
recommended.

The next chapter gives these highlights:

"Estella, where bread is good, wine excellent, meat and fish are abundant, and
which overflows with all delights."

"then Carrión (after Frómista), which is a well-managed and industrious town,
abundant in bread, wine, meat, and all kinds of produce."

regards,

Bob Spenger