1. music 2.witches in Galicia, 3. pre christian pilgrimage?

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Sun Feb 23 14:45:39 PST 2003

Maura wrote:

1. Does anyone know whether there is any music, type or period, that is
associated with the camino?

A contemporay group that has gained international attention and a loyal
following is "Milladoiro" which is the self described "...leading exponent
of Galician music, the Celtic music of Spain". I am a fan but was initially
skeptical of the claim they played authentic music associated with the
camino until a knowledgeable Galician friend assured me that most of their
work was indeed traditional folk music influenced by the camino, some of
which has ancient roots. You can find the group at Green Linnet Records or
Amazon (which allows you to hear the music itself). In the same genre, the
Chieftains have an album called "Santiago" which, among other selections,
contains a portion of  Paddy Maloney's Galician Overture.

Apart from that, Galicia is proud of its rich musical heritage, ranging from
courtly songs to more ambitious pieces dating from the middle ages, which by
today's standards would be called classical. There are many on line sites
where you can find a dozen or more different albums by a variety of
orchestras or individual musicians performing this work.

Gene Silva
ejsilvaaswbell.net