Answers for Xose

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Sun Feb 23 13:43:40 PST 2003

It is 744 km from St. Pied de port to Santiago.  If you figure 20 km per day,
that would be around 37 days.  So 1.5 months, around 45 days, should work out.
The British Confraternity says to allow 4 to 6 weeks, so they would also say that
6 weeks is plenty.  If you plan to take various detours, days off, etc., you
might want to add a few days, but I think that 1.5 months sounds very realistic.

20 km/day = 12.5 miles.  I think that most people can maintain this pace without
serious difficulty.  That said, a few people will go slower, and many faster.

I would think that July in Santiago would be very busy, especially around the
fiesta of 25 July.   Note that I went at a much less crowded time, you should ask
those who have been in Santiago in July for their experiences.

Richard

  ------------------------------

  Date:    Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:34:39 EST
  From:    Xosé Manuel Alvariño <AlvaxmaAOL.COM>
  Subject: Richard: consultation

  --part1_60.2dc84341.2b898d3f_boundary

  Richard, am planning on taking 1 1/2 mo to do the Camino, starting on June=20
  1st, Roncesvalles. I'd like to ask you a few questions based on this.
  1) Is that plenty of time?
  2) What would u say, ball park, could be a daily walking average, in miles,=20
  with a time framework of 1 1/2 mo?
  3) I expect to be arriving in  Santiago during the first 2 weeks in July-how=
  =20
  crowded do you think that geographic area could be?