Specifics About Beginning in St. Jean Pied de Port

Bruce McLean b_mcleanaTELUSPLANET.NET
Wed Feb 12 16:37:23 PST 2003

Melissa Starr wrote:

> Last week I emailed an inn to find out how close they are to SJPP,
> transportation, etc. They haven't replied. Can someone give some
> specifics on beginning from SJPP? By specific, I mean, how close is
> closest lodging? I'm flying into Paris at about 9:30 am (May 15), and
> will take a train to the closest location possible to begin my
> journey, but won't have a full day left to walk. I'd like to reserve a
> room ahead of time to eliminate stressing about it.

You  may want to check the train schedules.  You may not be able to get
to StJPdP until late afternoon by train.  In my case a airline ticket on
to Biaritz cost less than the train.  At Biaritz airport you can catch a
bus to the train station in Bayonne and then on to StjPdP in time to go
to Hunto for overnight. If worst comes to worst stay in Bayonne it is a
tourist town and at that time of the year lots of rooms available.

If you want to stay in StJPdP  the English Pilgrims Guide to Spain lists
several Hotels, Hostals and B&B right in town, and there is even a
refugio there.

Please forgive the pontificating but I found I needed a day to get over
jet lag.  I  found an overnight at  Bayonne and then to catch the early
morning train from there to StJPdP and then an overnight at Hunto
enabled me to walk the Route Napoleon with a minimum of difficulty.