Specifics About Beginning in St. Jean Pied de Port

Heather Lemley Rehtaeh05aAOL.COM
Tue Feb 11 11:28:13 PST 2003

If you are flying into Paris from overseas I would suggest taking a day of
rest in SJPP.  I flew into Paris, took the train to Bayonne and the next
morning took the train to SJPP.  I began walking the next morning.

This was not a good idea.  The walk to Roncesvalles is at a high elevation (I
am from the coast of Tx.), I still had jet lag, and I hadn't eaten properly
while I was doing so much traveling.  This resulted in a miserable first day
on the Camino.  I was 18 and in good physical shape too.  I nearly fainted,
or something, on the walk that day.  My heart started racing so fast and it
woudln't slow down and it got to where I had to rest every 10 steps.  The
pilgrims that passed me were honestly concerned and one man refused to leave
my side until he realized I was going to continue stopping every 10 steps for
a long time.  I was so tired and I don't know (ill?) that I didn't have the
presence of mind to be scared even though I barely had the energy to walk.  I
was used to being tired, I took dance and did sports for years but this was
scary.  My heart was racing so fast and there was nothing that would slow it
down.  No amount of resting would help and it felt like I couldn't get a deep
breath.  I'm sure there were some very bad things going on with my body.  So
my point is, don't be too gung-ho about that first days walk.  Drink lots of
water and eat well and rest in St. Jean for a day if you have to.

Heather