Specifics About Beginning in St. Jean Pied de Port

Melissa Starr mstarrboiseaYAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 11 09:39:35 PST 2003

Last week I emailed an inn to find out how close they are to SJPP, transportation, etc. They haven't replied. Can someone give some specifics on beginning from SJPP? By specific, I mean, how close is closest lodging? I'm flying into Paris at about 9:30 am (May 15), and will take a train to the closest location possible to begin my journey, but won't have a full day left to walk. I'd like to reserve a room ahead of time to eliminate stressing about it.

I want to begin first thing next morning. What is an average time to allow for walking from SJPP to Roncevalles, arriving before dark? All I have read about it is that it is the hardest day's journey of all. Naturally, I want to be as prepared as possible. For the next 90 days I'm doing cardiovascular endurance training at my local gym.

I'm grateful for any assistance on this, and others will be, too. Thank you.

Melissa