Foot Care for happy feet

M Parker MGParkeraAOL.COM
Thu Feb 6 14:32:46 PST 2003

Melissa,  I can speak to the foot care as I have walked the Camino for 4
weeks successfully without a single blister. I felt very sorry for the
pilgrims who had to treat their blisters every morning and night.  For some
people,  it ruins their walk.

This is what worked for me:

MAKE SURE YOUR BOOTS FIT:   I tried several pairs of boots by bringing them
home and wearing them in the house for several hours.  I finally settled on
about the 4th pair that I tried.  (Do not feel bad about doing this....you
cannot tell how your boots are going to feel until you have worn them for
several hours going about normal house chores.)

MAKE SURE YOUR BOOTS ARE BIG ENOUGH:   I bought my boots early,   1/2 size
bigger than I normally wear..  to accommodate a sock liner and a hiking sock.
  (Use wicking socks and liners made for heavy hiking)

BREAK YOU BOOTS IN:   To break them in,  I wore them as much as I could at
the park,  on the trail,  even at the mall before it opened.  Train by
walking at a fast pace.

I THINK THIS NEXT HINT IS THE SECRET TO NOT HAVING BLISTERS (the scourge of
the Camino).  Every morning,  I slathered creamy Vaseline on my feet before
putting on my sock liners.  AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET A 'HOT SPOT'

I never changed my socks during the day.  I did wash them every night,  which
may have been unnecessary.  You could probably get away with just washing the
liners.  I did notice that very few Europeans washed their socks every day.
(There is a theory that it is better for your feet NOT to wash the socks
everyday.)  I just felt compelled to have fresh socks everyday.

Utreya y suseya!
Marianne