questions! : carrying water

Jeffrey Crawley jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Thu Feb 6 06:04:24 PST 2003

Pieter is right, it's not so much the carrying of water but drinking it!

Re-iterating a story I've shared before:

July 2002, on the climb up to Ferro Cruz west of Astorga, after a day of
brilliant sunshine and temperatures hitting 40 deg C. A French pilgrim
collapses in the washroom of a refugio with classic dehydration shock
symptoms: clammy, pale, nausia, faint rapid pulse; we pour a rehydration
drink into him (water, fruit juice, some sugar and a little salt) and put
him into the recovery position. I hear salty potato chips and de-gassed
cola are good too.

On being questioned he admits to have only drunk two demi-tasse (VERY small
cups) of coffee all day.  The next day he had recovered but had to be
forced to take some water with him up into the hills.

I only hope he drank it.