questions!

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Wed Feb 5 15:18:24 PST 2003

  Subject: Re: questions!

  This is very dangerous advice. On the third day of my year 2000 pilgrimage, I left the hotel in Marsillargues with one liter bottle of water full and only a couple of hundred ml of water in the second one. I was confident that I would be finding the village fountains that a friend had told me would be along the way. .........

   ........... There were no village fountains that I can remember from Jaca to Puente la Reine de Jaca, nor on the next two days to Artrieda and Yesa.....

   - I needed every bit of the water that I carried.......
  regards,

  Robert Spenger
  rspengeraadelphia.net

  I also was in Spain during the month of September, 2000 and can verify much of what Robert saw as well as concur with his advice. Climbing up from the valley below to Cebreiro on Saturday the 16th, I passed one water fountain by the side of the road, but believing I had enough, chose not to replenish my 1.5 liter bottle which was about half full. That was a mistake. There were no other fountains along the way until the hamlet of Laguna de Castilla and I ran out some distance before reaching this place. That was about noon on a hot day and I had left Villa Franca del Bierzo at 4 am. I was in pretty good physical shape but tired and very thirsty. It was an unpleasant and potentially dangerous passage. I speak Spanish and Portuguese and can get by in Italian and French. Unfortunately, there was no one to ask for directions, no cars passed and I did not come across even one bar or other similar establishment. Please consider carrying and drinking lots of water.

  Good luck

  Gene Silva

  ejsilvaaswbell.net