questions!

Martin Ray brermartinaWEBTV.NET
Tue Feb 4 20:15:29 PST 2003

I have several questions, to whomever could help clarify.  And the first
involves the Acceuil St Jacques in SJPP, which apparently first opens
for business on May 1.  Since I'm planning to begin the Camino there on
April 15, and in order to stay in that Refuge REQUIRES a pilgrim
passport, where else would an American get one (if the above info is
correct), and about how long does it take, etc?
     Also, I'm hoping that the weather is not rainy & cold at this time,
but it sure seems "iffy", especially in the early going over the
Pyrenees.  Some of the reasons I'd like to begin this early involve
avoiding more crowded conditions in the refugios as I get closer to
Santiago, and also to avoid the heat during these long walks.  But if
the weather generally looks to be too wet & cold, I'll probably change
my mind & begin a week or two later.  But then I'd also miss Easter
along the Camino, which I'd rather like to experience....Any tips here?
If you've done the Camino about this time before, would you do it again
at ths time?
    Another question is about good potable water:  ordinarily I tend to
drink lots of water, and I'll certainly drink more than usual during the
Camino.  So -- if I knew HOW FAR APART (in km) these water sources were,
it would be a great help each day in planning how much water to take
(ie, the weight factor, too).  I understand there is a website in
spanish somewhere that talks about the fountains, etc, but I don't habla
espanol.  It's the distances apart that I'm looking for... (important to
me)
   The last question for now involves locating a GOOD MAP (detailed) of
the Camino, with all the villages, possibly with turnoffs, and refugio
sites, etc.  I understand that many people may not need a map, but I'd
still much rather have one than not (and a really good one at that!)  My
fitness is questionaable, and traveling alone, possibly wet and likely
tired, I'd feel much better knowing I'm not going to end up in Morrocco,
or Guam.      (perhaps some find, say, 1-to-15,000 scale regional maps
are the best way to go?)  I have the recent British publication, "the
Camino Frances" pilgrim guide, and that looks quite useful for much of
the other info. needed....also any other odd suggestion that you may
think important would be welcome.
     Thanks for your time, your insights!  You may reach me privately,
if preferred, at   brermartinawebtv.net   but I bet there are others
here who would be interested in hearing your comments, as well.
                ultreya!    Martinxo