Vezelay to Compostella

Bill Clune fongbeetwoaHOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 29 13:59:42 PST 2003

Hi Philippe;

I'm  64, walked much of the same route, GR7 & GR 64, this year and found no
pilgrims refuges before le Puy. I stayed in  camp grounds, one or two hotels
and camped free in the woods.
I would suggest that you carry a small, light weight tent as back up for the
first leg, after le Puy there are many gites d' etapes and a few refuges.
Copy a few pages from the accommodation guide "Miam-Miam-Dodo" for your
route.
Accommodation prices in France are about double Spain. I budgeted 30
Euros/day and did ok, but this will vary on your tastes.

Equipment:
My pack was 18 kilos when I started and 14 kilos by Compostella. It snowed
the day before I left Germany and I included long underwear and a wool
pullover, but it was an exceptionally hot summer and these were not
required.
I would suggest that you reduce your equipment before leaving and delete:
a. one short sleeve shirt
b. either the sandals or trainers, one additional pair of shoes is enough. I
wore only boots, but  would have liked a pair of sandals.
c. swimming trunks, you can swim in your shorts.
d. fleece
e. one pair of trousers
Items needed, but not listed:
a. sun hat
b. tooth brush & tooth paste
c. toilet paper
d. a cup
e. a spoon
f. water bottle, I carried 3 liters through France and most of Spain. North
of le Puy, having water was a problem in the 39o C heat
g. sun block
Nice to have items:
a. wool cap
b. poly propylene gloves
c. light weight trousers that have velcro attached legs, so they double both
as shorts & longs. You can then delete one pair of each.

Preferences:
a. carry a tent
b. delete full sleeping bag and substute a silk liner, most refugios have
blankets and in a pinch wear more clothes.
c. a mattress & pillow cover
d. Use your rain jacket & long sleeve thermal shirt instead of a jacket. You
may wish to use a light weight poly propylene undershirt instead of a real
thermal shirt, it is warm when wet and lighter.
e. food, I carried at least 3 meals and a cache of emergency rations, tuna
and noodles. The stores in France are often not open when you are there. My
food was simple: cheese, wurst, rice, bread, couscous or crackers, fruit
etc. Often, I could not cook. Think simple and raw.

Safety
No concerns, you are not alone, have only faith.
Look after your gear.
Have a back up for survival if you loose your wallet or pack.

You will have a great time,
Bill