Anger

Kinsey Carpenter KCarpenteraCMINS.COM
Mon Dec 29 12:35:54 PST 2003

amen

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Jilek, Glenn [mailto:Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV]
        Sent: Mon 12/29/2003 11:46 AM
        To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
        Subject: Anger

        Thank you Richard for your wisdom.

        I have been a bleeding heart, tree hugging, liberal activist since I finished a 4 year stint with the Army in 1972 ... the military during that time was a fertile ground for transformation one way or another.  It became disturbingly clear to me that the "peace and love" groups that I was participating in had a lot of the same anger that they railed against... and it just didn't seem right to me.  I fortunately met some Quakers and some people from an international group called the Fellowship of Reconciliation.  From them I learned what Richard mentioned... that anger is destructive on ALL levels.  You can't work for peace with anger in your heart.  Being human, especially in a culture that seems to look at anger, violence, and revenge as signs of strength, this is not at all an easy task ...but it is an important goal to be aware of.  Now in this last phase of my life, I have come to the conclusion that the most effective thing I can do on a global basis, is just to minimize!
          the anger I myself let loose in the world.

        I must admit that it saddens me whenever I see evidence of anger arising in this forum ... it just doesn't seem worthy of what really brought us all here in the first place...The Camino.

        Glenn