Via de La Plata Questions

Dennis Cooney cooneyaVALIS.CA
Sun Dec 28 00:45:24 PST 2003

The one difference in the Via de la Plata is that generally the distances
are longer.  I would say you should be prepared to average between 25 and 30
kms per day.  And many days there is no option as there are fewer towns and
villages.  Another consideration is that often there is no shade or shelter
to get out of the sun.  The books warn of this and at first I could not
believe that there would be not shade in 30  kms, but sure enough it is
true.  So wear a wide brim hat and you will be fine.  But don't even think
about walking this route in July and August  The Via de la Plata has fewer
refugios.  Between Seville and Salamanca there are several refugios and more
under construction.  There are also many alberques which seem to be a step
up from a refugio.  And there are small hotels which are very inexpensive.
I tried to stay in the small hotels and averaged about 15 Euros per night.
The refugios I did stay in where for the most part very clean and
comfortable. And at the rate the government is moving I would say there will
be many more refugios and alberques available by next spring and summer.