American Pilgrims on the Camino/Gatherings

Robert Ward robertwardaGOSYMPATICO.CA
Sat Dec 27 13:49:34 PST 2003

WIth all due respects, I don't think we can call the use of "American" to mean "citizens of the US" an error. It's just plain English usage, and - as everyone has already observed - no other word exists. I don't know any Canadian who uses "American" in any other sense, and as far as I can tell it is normal usage in British and Antipodean English as well. Even the Italians - and Amerigo Vespucci was Italian - refer to US citizens as "Americani". So I don't think that Americans need to worry that they have "arrogated" that name to themselves, at least not where other English speakers are concerned. (Thanks though for your concern.)
As for speakers of Spanish, or rather, Castellano; well, that might be another story...